Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Hunger Games

Oh young adult fiction, how I have missed you! I just finished The Hunger Games yesterday and loved it. Back when I was teaching 7th grade, pre-kids, I thought I was up to date on the latest book trends. I read and reread the Twilight books. Now I am so happy to find my way back. (Especially before the movie comes out.)

I couldn't put this book down. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise when I got sick this weekend. I pawned my children off on my sweet mother and aunt, then when to bed with my book.  It's about a bleak world in the future. A strong, female main character that must literally fight to stay alive, who I immediately fell in love with. There's of course a romance (perhaps like a Twilight romantic triangle.) It was such an easy read but it stirred up a lot of difficult questions inside of me. It really made me think long hard about those in our world that don't have enough to eat. Now that I have my own kids - I just can't wrap my brain around watching my kids suffer.

There was some violence, but Collins did a great job making it appropriate for young readers and those with weak stomachs.

Loved it!!! Can't wait to start #2.

1 comment:

  1. Great book! I teach 7th grade and just finished reading this series a few months ago. I enjoyed the book and even more so discussing it with my students.

    Elaina @ http://www.elainaweaver.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete