Saturday, February 4, 2012

Razorback Cookies

I spent most of my day making Razorback cookies for a shower for one of my sweetest friends. There were several bumps in the road but we made it. I meant to spread out the process a little more but Jack spiked a high fever Wed night and by Thursday we had both been diagnosed with Strep - no fun! Once I felt confident that I wouldn't be infecting all the girls at the shower we got started.



 Jack made cookies out of his playdo while I cut out the cookies and baked them. I use the Better Homes and Garden recipe for the sugar cookies that I have been using forever. It's easy and always turns out.

My other baby slept. What is it about sleeping babies? So precious. Please ignore my p.j. pants in the background, I didn't make it into real clothes until much later in the day.

Sugar Cookie Recipe
Ingredients
  • 2/3
    cup butter, softened
  • 3/4
    cup sugar
  • 1
    teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4
    teaspoon salt
  • 1
    egg
  • 1
    tablespoon milk
  • 1
    teaspoon vanilla
  • 2
    cups all-purpose flour
  • 1
    recipe Powdered Sugar Icing (optional)
  • Decorative sprinkles and/or small candies (optional)
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. If necessary, cover and chill about 30 minutes or until dough is easy to handle.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time until 1/4 inch thick. Using a 4-1/2- to 6-inch cookie cutter, cut dough into desired shapes. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack; cool.
4. If desired, prepare Powdered Sugar Icing. Spread and/or pipe the icing (if using) onto cookies. If desired, top iced cookies with sprinkles and/or candies. Makes 14 to 16 cookies.


I tripled my batch so I had to make it in my biggest bowl. I like to keep it in the frig while I roll out the cookies. I do just a hand full at a time. Cool dough is so much easier.



Tip I have learned - use lots of flour. Nothing is more frustrating than sticking dough while you're trying to punch out cookies.


Kitchen covered in cookies. Isn't that the way it should always be?

I stacked them all up to keep them from breaking before I had time to ice them.

Well the baking went super smoothly so of course the icing part had to be crazy. I made the mistake of watching Martha (yes, Stewart) and she happened to be icing cookies yesterday. So I decided to use her recipe and method instead. Oh Martha, you make everything look easy. The icing was goopy and after a ton of food coloring (the super thick, cake kind from Hobby Lobby) it was still pink - not red. The picture above doesn't do the color justice - it was pink. Well since my friend is having a boy, I dumped that icing and my sweet hubby headed to Walmart for more powdered sugar.


We ended up with white Razorbacks. I did use a squeeze top bottle for the first time tonight - it was heavenly. I made the icing pretty thick then filled my bottle. I only used my bottle for outlining. Then I thinned out the icing a little, drizzled it on with a spoon and spread it out with a toothpick. I outline 4 or 5 cookies at a time and then filled them in. Much faster and prettier than with a bag. I saw this tip on a YouTube video. Those are so informative!! I also used my Better Homes and Garden recipe for icing.

Powdered Sugar Icing
Ingredients
  • 1
    cup sifted powdered sugar
  • 1/4
    teaspoon vanilla
  • 1
    tablespoon milk  (I need more than this)
Directions
In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Stir in additional milk or juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, until it reaches drizzling consistency.

**I keep it pretty thick or else it runs over the sides of the cookies.


The cookies were the favors at the shower so my honey again got roped in and helped me put them into baggies and tie knots.



Here are the cookies at the shower. My sweet friends went above and beyond organizing Candice's shower. It was amazing. Soon I will put up all the pictures from the shower.



No comments:

Post a Comment