This year I decided my sweet boys (mainly Jack) would enjoy an Advent Calendar. Each day in December we will count down to Christmas by opening an envelope with a fun surprise - a note of what we will be doing that day or a sweet treat. I love the Christmas season, so it will be easy to incorporate some of our fun traditions into the calendar.
Here are some of the activities our family will include:
* Christmas Train Ride
* Build and Decorate a Gingerbread House
* Shop Together as a Family for Angel Tree Presents
* Go Get Our Christmas Tree
* Meet our Community Group for Pizza and See Lights on the City Square
* Bake a Decorate Christmas Cookies
* Breakfast with Santa
* Make Red and Green Home-made Playdough
* Watch Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer
* Watch Frosty the Snowman
* Make Ornaments
* Go Christmas Caroling at the Nursing Home
* Send a Care Package to Our Friend in Iraq
* Drink Hot Chocolate with Mama - Don't Forget the Marshmallows
* Unwrap and Read a Christmas Book (some will be books we already have)
The envelopes were pretty easy to make. I bought a big pack of Christmas cardstock, twine, and clothes pins at Hobby Lobby. It was all pretty inexpensive. I cut the brown paper into 24 (5 1/2" x 3") rectangles and glued them into envelopes.
At first I thought they were too small, but when you hang up 24 envelopes they take up a bunch of room. Then I decorated and labeled each one.
Jack was so excited this morning to start opening. Will just gets excited when Big Brother does. Jack is already asking when he can open the next one!